Aging Services, Division FAQ's

Who does DAS serve?
What role does DAS play in the lives of seniors?
What does the Community Care Services Program (CCSP) cover?
What is the Home and Community-Based Services Program (HCBS)?
How do I report elder abuse?
What is the National Family Caregiver Support Program (NFCSP)
What are Employment Services?
Who does Access to Services cover?
What areas of the state does DAS service?
How do I contact an Area Agency on Aging (AAA)?
How do I reach the Georgia Department of Human Services Division of Aging Services?
What needs do the AAA serve?
What community resources are available through AAA?
What additional resources are available for seniors?
How do I find out about Medicaid for seniors?
How do I apply for Medicaid?
What resources are available for persons with disabilities?


Aging Services, Division FAQ's


Q. Who does DAS serve?

A. The Division of Aging Services assists older individuals, at-risk adults and persons with disabilities, their families and caregivers to achieve safe, healthy, independent and self-reliant lives. Services are rendered to:

  • Those aged 60+
  • Adult victims of abuse, neglect, exploitation
  • Medicare beneficiaries
  • Those with functional impairments
  • Adults with disabilities
  • Low-income people aged 55+ who seek employment
  • Caregivers

Return to Top


Q. What role does APS play in the lives of seniors?

A: DAS is Georgia’s Adult Protective Services (APS) agency. DAS investigates abuse, neglect and exploitation of Georgians age 65 or older and adults with disabilities over the age of 18 who do not reside in a long-term care facility. In addition to conducting investigations, APS intervenes to reduce the risk of maltreatment. Examples of interventions include finding another residence for the abused person; arranging for medical assistance; educating caregivers as to proper care; finding a senior center to provide day services; and, if necessary involving law enforcement.

Return to Top


Q: What does the Community Care Services Program (CCSP) cover?

A: The Community Care Services Program (CCSP) helps Medicaid-eligible individuals who cannot live on their own. The program provides assistance in homes and communities and avoids placing the individual in a nursing home. Under CCSP eligible individuals can receive:

  • Adult day health services. This includes nursing care, personal care, occupational, speech and physical therapy, dietary services, and social work.
  • Alternative living services. These services are provided in state-licensed residences with 24-hour supervision and support services for people who cannot remain in their homes.
  • Emergency response services. These services provide two-way electronic communication between a monitoring service and an isolated individual.
  • Home-delivered meals.
  • Home health services and social services provided by a home health agency.
  • Personal support services such as light housekeeping, basic personal care and caregiver respite.

Return to Top


Q: What is the Home and Community-Based Services Program (HCBS)?

A: The Home and Community-Based Services Program (HCBS) provides support to older Georgians so that they may remain independent and self-sufficient. HCBS has many services, but the most common are senior centers, congregate and home delivered meals, Information & Assistance, case management, adult day care and homemaker. HCBS is available to elderly people age 60 and older.

Return to Top


Q: How do I report elder abuse?

A: Visit this page: Adult Protective Services

Return to Top


Q: What is the National Family Caregiver Support Program (NFCSP)?

A: The National Family Caregiver Support Program (NFCSP) supports family caregivers as its targeted client group rather than care receivers. This program is available to family caregivers, age 18 and older, of persons with Alzheimer’s and other dementias, as well as persons caring for frail, older adults with chronic health conditions. Examples of caregiver services include: adult day care services, case management assistance, and temporary relief from their care giving responsibilities through respite services.

Return to Top


Q: What are Employment Services?

A: Employment services help low income people aged 55 or older with part-time training, community service, and mastering new job-related skills. Participants learn while they earn.

Return to Top


Q: Who does Access to Services cover?

A: Access to Services provide understandable and objective information to older people about their rights and benefits, help older persons to advocate on their own behalf, provide public and community education, and offer volunteer opportunities. The major elder rights services include:

  • Elder Abuse & Fraud Prevention to educate professionals and the public about abuse and fraud, how to identify it, report it and take steps to prevent it.
  • Elderly Legal Assistance promotes prevention of costly legal problems through the provision of legal information and education to seniors 60 and over in a variety of areas of civil law. Representation is provided when necessary. Seniors also received brief legal assistance from the division’s partner, the Georgia Senior Legal Hotline.
  • GeorgiaCares is a private-public partnership that consists of Georgia's State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP), which provides individuals with Medicare information and counseling; and SMP, which helps individuals protect themselves from, prevent, and report prevent Medicare abuse and waste. Local programs provide outreach, information and counseling on such topics as Medicare-approved drug discount programs, long-term care insurance, Medicare Supplemental Insurance (Medigap), Medicare savings programs and low cost prescription assistance programs. They also help Medicare beneficiaries sort through complicated Medicare issues and educate them on Medicare fraud, error and abuse.
  • Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program seeks resolution of problems and advocates for the rights of residents of long-term care facilities with the goal of enhancing the quality of life and care of residents. The local providers make routine visits to facilities, resolve complaints, provide information and referral, and conduct training.

Return to Top


Q: What areas of the state does DAS service?

Return to Top


Q: How do I contact an Area Agency on Aging (AAA)?

A: You can contact an Area Agency on Aging by county or city by calling the numbers listed below or by accessing the following website: http://tinyurl.com/282bntr

Atlanta Regional Commission * 404-463-3333 or toll-free 1-800-676-2433
Central Savannah River Area * 706-210-2018 or toll-free 1-888-922-4464
Coastal Georgia * Toll-free 1-800-580-6860
Heart of Georgia Altamaha 912-367-3648 or toll-free 1-888-367-9913
Georgia Mountains / Legacy Link 770-538-2650 or toll-free 1-800-845-LINK
Middle Georgia 478-751-6466 or toll-free 1-888-548-1456
Northeast Georgia * 706-583-2547 or toll-free 1-800-474-7540
Northwest Georgia * 706-802-5506 or toll-free 1-800-759-2963
River Valley ** 706-256-2900 or toll-free 1-800-615-4379
Southern Georgia ** 912-285-6097 or toll-free 1-888-732-4464
Southern Crescent/ Three Rivers * 706-407-0016 or toll-free 1-866-854-5652
Southwest Georgia / SOWEGA ** 229-432-1124 or toll-free 1-800-282-6612
ALL AAAs are ADRCs now


Q: How do I reach the Georgia Department of Human Services Division of Aging Services?

A: The Georgia Division of Aging Services can be reached at 404-657-5258 or toll-free 1-866-552-4464 / www.aging.georgia.gov. For Elder Abuse contact Adult Protective Services or (911 for Emergencies)
For an AAA Eldercare Locator contact one of the Area Agencies on Aging Nationwide: Toll-Free 1-800-677-1116 / www.Eldercare.gov

Return to Top


Q: What needs do the AAA serve?

A: The Area Agencies on Aging (AAA) meet the needs of the following persons:

  • Older persons
  • Persons with disabilities
  • Family members and caregivers of people who are older or living with a disability
  • Professionals in the fields of healthcare, education, social services and advocacy
  • Businesses of all sizes that care about the ways in which aging, care giving, and/or disabilities may affect their employees’ daily lives
  • Friends, faith communities, and volunteers who want to make a positive difference in the lives of older adults, caregivers, and/or people with disabilities

Return to Top


Q: What community resources are available through AAA?

A: The list below displays services and community resources that may be available through one or more of Georgia’s 12 Area Agencies on Aging and their providers. Many services shown are provided by unaffiliated organizations listed in the network’s statewide information & referral database.

Adult Day Care Financial Services Legal Services
Advocacy Assistance Geriatric Assessment Leisure / Recreational
Animal Services Grandparenting Services Medicaid Waiver / Demonstration
Brain Injury / Spinal Cord Injury Health Centers / Clinics Programs
Care Management Health Conditions / Disease Mental Health
Caregiver Services Health Supportive Products Nursing Homes
Community Care Healthcare Hospitals Nutrition Services
Consumer Services Home-Based Services Organizations / Associations
Developmental Disabilities Home Care Providers Personal Care Homes
Educational Programs Home Health Agencies Prescription Programs
Elder Abuse / Neglect Hospice Care Support Groups
Emergency Management Housing Options Supportive Services
Organizations Housing Services Transportation Assistance
Emergency Response Systems Income Security Veterinarian Services
Employment Services Information / Referral Volunteer Services
End-of-Life Planning Insurance Programs Wellness Programs
Financial Assistance Insurance / HMO  

Return to Top


Q: What additional resources are available for seniors?

A: United Way of America
http://www.liveunited.org/ (See location finder at top of page)

Legal Assistance (Refer clients 60+ to Area Agencies on Aging for ELAP services)
Intake Workers’ Resources for Legal Referrals
Search form requires zip code or county. Drop-down lists include problem types and sub-types. Use checklist to indicate consumer’s special needs or eligibility categories. http://www.georgialegalaid.org/

Affordable Rental Housing The Georgia Department of Community Affairs’ “Georgia Housing Search” includes fields to search for specific accessibility features. http://www.georgiahousingsearch.org/

Social Security Income
Social Security Inquiry Line (800) 772-1213
Line uses numerous voice prompts. It is preferable to direct consumers to local offices. Social Security Field Office Search

Directions: Enter zip code for consumer’s field office.

On local page, click “Local Agencies: Other Agencies” to find resource numbers related to food, housing, and other vital needs.

Return to Top


Q: How do I find out about Medicaid for seniors?

A: Medicaid can be accessed by:
DHS State Eligibility Office (404-651-9983) **WAITING**
Office can refer individuals who have been denied coverage. Consumers will be directed to the DFCS legal department and/or to local offices for further assistance.

Return to Top


Q: How do I apply for Medicaid?

A: You may apply by accessing the following link: https://compass.ga.gov/selfservice/

Return to Top


Q: What resources are available for persons with disabilities?

A: Contact the Aging and Disability Resource Connection or 1-866-552-4464

Return to Top